Monday, March 3, 2014

Whole30 -- Day 8

Today was a busy, busy day!

I have been meaning to try Nom Nom Paleo's Slow Cooker Korean Grass-Fed Short Ribs for a while now, but I needed to first head to Whole Foods to find grass-fed, organic short ribs. Unfortunately, not even they had any, so I said screw it and settled for regular ol' grocery store meat.

Since I was having a friend over for dinner this evening, I thought it would be the perfect time to try the recipe. I mean, it sounds impressive, right?!

The reviews on Nom Nom Paleo's recipe said good things, at least.

I woke up bright and early at 6:00 and immediately got started cooking. I didn't think it would take all that long, as I just had to broil the meat on each side and mix some stuff together in my Magic Bullet.  (Does anyone else thing "Magic Bullet" sounds naughty? Just me and my 14-year-old-boy brain? Mmkay.)

It took a lot longer than I thought. I may have been a bit rushed putting on make-up (i.e. mascara at my desk) this morning.

BUT, I got the meat a-cookin' in the crock pot, just like I was supposed to. :)

After work, I came home and cleaned my whole apartment. My landlord had to come over and fix Issue #1,273 today: my shower drain lever decided to stop working, so I have been showering while standing in my own filth for the last couple of days.

Anyway, he texted me and said he fixed it but that he wanted to re-caulk the tub -- so to let him know when I cleaned it.

Bwahaha.

I got right on that when I got home, and since I was already cleaning, I figured why not just clean the whole darn apartment?! I scrubbed the tub, the bathroom floor, the toilet, the sink, the mirror. I vacuumed the living room, bedroom, and dining room, and I dusted all readily-visible surfaces. I put away random crap. I did dishes, I scrubbed counters, I swept and mopped the kitchen. I made the bed.

Two hours later...

I swear, sometimes my craziness gets the best of me.

But anyway, I had an absolutely lovely dinner with a friend I had not seen in a while, and dinner turned out great! I was so pleased!

However, let's start at the very beginning...

Source
Breakfast: I totally forgot to snap a picture, but today's breakfast was really interesting and really, really tasty: the Sweet & Savory Blueberry Tortilla from Stupid Easy Paleo. I was really nervous about this recipe, but I had some blueberries to use up, and it sounded interesting, so I thought, why not?!

It was tasty! And, it was filling! I will likely be making it again tomorrow to use up all of the blueberries.

Lunch: I forgot didn't take a picture of lunch today because it was the very delicious but very un-photogenic chili from last night. I also had a few bites of sauerkraut to try to make up for veggie-shortage from this morning, but I was pretty full. Regardless, I ate half my apple and saved the rest of that (not the sauerkraut) for later in the afternoon.

Dinner:


The stars of the show, like I said before, were the Korean Short Ribs. The meat literally fell off the bones. It was so tender and so juicy and so delicious.

I also steamed some broccoli (first time ever steaming veggies, y'all -- things are getting crazy up in here) and dumped some of the meat sauce over them.


And for more veggies, I sauteed more broccoli and my leftover green beans in about a tablespoon of olive oil sprinkled with salt and crushed red pepper. There was quite a "kick" to these guys, and it was great.

Physically: I'm feeling good. I still have a lingering little headache (aka carb flu), and I'm finally experiencing the "brain fog" that comes along with that, but it's not too bad. I've been pretty good for the past several days tummy-wise, but there have been some issues again today. It's definitely not a pleasant feeling, but again, I know my digestive tract likely has a lot of healing (and expelling of previously-ingested toxins) to deal with, so I'm bearing with it. It will get better.

Emotionally: I'm good. Dinner with a good friend is always good for the soul! I also feel a million times better that my apartment is clean, as goofy as that may sound. (It's not like I live in a constant state of disaster, but it definitely needed a good cleaning.) I was a little irritable earlier, but I think it was more situational (due to someone else's actions) rather than anything diet-wise.

Cravings: Nada. My student teacher brought chicken wings to school today, which reminded me of nights at BW3s, which made me kind of crave some Asian Zing wings, but it was nothing more than, "Hmm, that sounds good." The only thing that I think would be nice every now and again (specifically right after lunch) is a piece of gum. But, I've been perfect and have yet to stray! :)

I'm wiped. I've been go-go-go-go-go since 6:00 this morning, so I'm going to crash now. Have a good night, y'all!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment