Thursday, March 13, 2014

Whole30 -- Day 18

Guess what, y'all?

It's SPRING BREAK!

But, even though I don't have to wake up bright and early for school, I'm still probably going to be falling asleep in the next 30 minutes or so. I'm super cool, I know.

I was pretty productive today during work and ended up staying until after 4:00 while students finished up some projects. When I got home, I immediately changed into my running gear because it was simply too nice to not run.

Unfortunately, the run was not great. I felt awesome going out, likely because I was going downhill, but I got super discouraged when my running app told me how far I had gone and what my average pace was. I think something must've gotten a bit screwed up because there is absolutely no way I was "running" a 14-minute mile when I know I was moving faster than I have all season.

(The app kept saying, "Now in ________ mode" and then a while later, "GPS activated." I wonder if it was being goofy since I was on a trail?)

Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and the run started out great, but then I got discouraged, and then I started going uphill, and then my attitude went downhill. The run walk did not end as awesomely as it started. But, it was awfully pretty:


I love that this is literally two minutes -- walking/running -- from my apartment in the middle of the city. Des Moines is an amazing place.


I did, however, figure out fueling a little better: I ate a tiny handful of macadamia nuts and drank (too much) water before heading out for the run. When I got back from my run and after sprinting to the bathroom (I almost couldn't hold it!), I ate some more nuts and drank a bottle of H2O. I felt a million times better than I have after other runs.

After my run, I had to speed to West Des Moines for an appointment and then to Whole Foods for stuff for dinner. (I forgot to thaw my shrimp. Darn.) I cooked dinner, and now here we are. :)

Breakfast:


Today I had something different, believe it or not. Well, it's not super different, as this is the other dish I make most frequently: scrambled eggs with coconut aminos, cinnamon, pepper, and blueberries. I also ate half an avocado on the side, as I'm not sure there's a whole lot of fat in this breakfast.

Lunch:


Here's the meal you were expecting to see for breakfast. :) Instead, I opted for a sweeter breakfast and a more savory lunch (since I didn't have any leftovers from dinner last night). In the mix: sweet potato, green pepper, jalapeno, mushroom, chicken sausage, avocado, salsa.

I also ate an apple about an hour after lunch. Interestingly, I chopped my apple with the same knife that I chopped the jalapeno, and it added quite the extra (and unexpected, since I totally spaced off) kick. I kind of liked it!

Dinner:


Like I said earlier, I forgot to thaw shrimp for dinner, and since I had to stop by the store anyway to get eggs for tomorrow (and, okay, more La Croix), I decided to pick up something super easy: just a plain ol' steak. I seasoned it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and cooked it both on the stove and under the broiler. I sauteed some asparagus in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and called it a meal. (I only ate half the steak and saved the other half for breakfast tomorrow: my eyes were bigger than my stomach.)

Physically: I'm feeling kind of funny today. My tummy is rumbling quite a bit, and I'm not really sure why since I have eaten nothing out of the ordinary today. Also, my skin is super dry -- like, so dry that I had to lather lotion on during the middle of school. (I never put lotion on because it makes me feel slimy). And, I have a bit of a rash on my torso and abdomen. I am so itchy that I'm actually going to take some allergy medicine (that knocks me out hardcore) before I head to bed in the next five minutes. Hopefully I'll be better in the morning, but if not, I have a previously-scheduled doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Emotionally: I'm great! I've been feeling really good all day actually -- no irritability, no crankiness, no exhaustion.

Cravings: I mentioned to a few people today that I kind of miss sushi. It's not that I'm craving sushi -- just that I will definitely be eating it again and am looking forward to that. Also, my student teacher gave me a gift card to Orange Leaf today for "after my Whole30," and I'm definitely looking forward to using that as well. These aren't cravings, though, because I don't feel the urge to stuff my face in a dynamite crab roll or a tub of wedding cake fro-yo: they just sound like things I would like to eat eventually (and in moderation).

Welp, I'm off to take some meds and crash in T minus two minutes. G'night, friends!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. FYI - You can find La Croix at Mendard's and it's likely cheaper than Whole Foods or Dahls! Plus, they have tons of flavors too! I LOVE La Croix - will have to try the coconut flavor you speak of :) Anyways, might be worth an extra stop to save a few dollars as it can get kind of expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Traci! I'll have to check that out. It's not TOO bad (around $4 or so at Whole Foods, Hy-Vee, and Dahl's), but I'm always up for a bargain! And yes, try the coconut: it's SO good. I also love the peach-pear combo as well as grapefruit. What's your go-to flavor?

      Delete