Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Miles to Go Before I Sleep

One thing I haven't talked about at all for quite a while is running.

This has been the worst winter ever -- and that is coming from a non-winter-weather complainer. In fact, we hit a record earlier this week: -7 degrees (real temperature, not wind chill) on March 3rd.

Awesome.

Because of the extremely sub-zero Arctic temperatures (mixed with the constant ice-snow mix we seem to have on each and every sidewalk in town), my desire to run outside has been non-existent.

And because the only treadmill to which I have access is in the school weight room at school, my desire to run a bazillion slow, slow, slooooooooooooooooow miles in front of non-deodorant-wearing high school athletes has also been non-existent.

One thing I should be talking about a lot is running.

I have already paid big bucks for not one but two races this spring.




On Sunday, May 4th, I will be running the Lincoln Half Marathon. Friends, that is 59 days away -- FIFTY-NINE DAYS. In 5-9 days I will be running 13.1 miles.

Let me tell you how much I've trained for that. Yeah...

And then, on Saturday, May 10th, I will be running 13.9 miles in Iowa's Market to Market Relay. THIRTEEN POINT NINE MILES.

Let's do a little bit of math: after not running at all this winter, I will be running 13.1 miles in eight weeks, and just six days later, I will be running 13.9 miles.

Um, yeah.

Luckily the weather is looking a little better in the near future. Hopefully the sidewalks and/or trails and/or streets get to be snow- and ice-free in the very near future as well.


According to the training plan that I created several weeks ago, I should be running seven miles this week with a long run on Saturday of five miles.

That might be tough.

But, we all know I have miles to go before I sleep...

Source

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment