Friday, March 21, 2014

Whole30 -- Day 25

Hi friends! Can you believe I'm up until midnight again?! It's the second night in a row that I'm awake past my bedtime!

In my post last night, I alluded to the fact that my skin had been acting up (dryness, eczema, etc.) and that I was hoping my Whole30 diet would change that. My skin was really bothering me last night. As soon as I hit "publish," I started getting ready for bed and checked myself out in the mirror: my entire torso was covered in hives.

TMI for just a minute: when I was younger, probably around 14 or 15, I developed the craziest case of hives ever. My mom and I think it was maybe because I was taking a lot of Ibuprofen to combat tendinitis issues (thank you, Soccer), but the hives got so bad that I had to go to the doctor for shots of epinephrine. One night was especially awful: I woke my mom up and made her feel my back, and she couldn't feel any flat skin, as it was so covered in hives. That night I had to head to the emergency room.

So last night, I had a flashback to 15 years ago, thinking that I was going to have to head to the ER. Instead of shelling out the big bucks for a hospital visit (I mean, come on: I have grass-fed beef and Hot Mama clothes to buy), I decided to pop some allergy medicine instead. One doze of hydroxyzine later, and I was crashed.

And, when I woke up this morning at 8:30 a.m., I felt so hungover. That medicine knocked me out -- and left me with quite a pounder.

So, I pretty much wasted the day away with a lot of sleeping, lounging, and TV watching.

I did, however, make it out this evening to a movie with my work-boyfriend (one of my best friends in the world) and his daughter (who is pretty much like my sister):


I read the book when it first came out, and Kate flew through it last weekend. She then walked the block over to my place for the second two books and finished those in no time at all -- and convinced her dad to read the trilogy as well.

It was a great movie (seriously, go see it) -- and even better company.

Breakfast:


I tried to recreate the super-amazing breakfast that my mom made for me yesterday, and while it looks pretty, it didn't taste as awesome as my mom's. I think this was primarily due to three things: 1.) my mom is a way better cook than I am, 2.) yesterday's omelet was cooked in bacon grease and today's in coconut oil, and 3.) I didn't saute the veggies long enough (or at all) before cooking the egg.

Lunch:


I didn't quite know what to make for lunch since I didn't have any leftovers from last night (since I didn't really eat dinner last night...). So, I opted for "breakfast for lunch" again and whipped up scrambled eggs with coconut aminos, cinnamon, black pepper, and blueberries.

It was super good, but I did have to have a spoonful of almond butter a bit later to tide me over 'til dinner.

Dinner:


Dinner tonight was pretty good: Balsamic Mustard Steak with roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed spicy asparagus. I loved the sauce for the steak and I highly recommend this recipe. The flavor was great, and I'm excited that there are leftovers -- likely enough for both breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

Physically: Aside from feeling hydroxyzine-hungover this morning (and pretty much the rest of the day), I feel good now. I'm sleepy, but that's only because it's 12:15 a.m. I am also a bit hungry (and may or may not be munching on a few macadamia nuts), but again, that's likely because it's 12:15 a.m.

Emotionally: I am feeling so great. Seriously.

Cravings: The only craving I experienced today was at the movie theater. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but popcorn is one of my favorite foods. Smelling the buttery deliciousness of a huge movie theater about killed me. But, I refrained from caving -- and sipped my La Croix instead.

Hope y'all are sleeping tight! See you bright and early with a "Five on Friday" post!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment