Monday, April 7, 2014

Yo, Coach

Today was BUSY.

I day started off kind of crappy, as something weird was going on with my work email, and I had to spend nearly all of my planning period trying to fix that rather than, well, planning stuff.

And then when students came into my room and I explained something to them, one of my students raised her hand to ask a question and instead said, "Um, you should put your hair down." Thank you. Thank you for that super sweet advice.

Guess whose hair stayed in a pony tail? This girl's.

After school, I quickly changed into sweats, a zip-up jacket, and my Brooks, and I headed to "coach" my very first tennis meet:


I was actually quite nervous for the meet, as a.) I know nothing about tennis, b.) I don't know the girls at all, c.) I haven't coached anything in about five years, and d.) this was an actual meet, not just a practice.

But, it went really, really well. The girls for the most part knew what they were doing, and I figured it out eventually.

It was really nice being around kids in a coaching manner, too, rather than as a teacher or a mentor. They were super sweet and giggly and energetic. I'm going to really, really enjoy this.

I left the meet a smidge early, as I had to head home and prep for book club. Because there are varying dietary needs (Paleo, vegetarian, and vegan) among us, I decided to go a relatively easy route and (with BFF's help with the chopping) whip up a taco bar:


It was awesome. I put everything on the table, and people naturally just pulled up a chair, and we had dinner together. Usually during book club we grab food and then migrate to the living room, but it was kind of nice eating and chatting around the dining room table.

I wish I had photos or even a video of all of us making our tacos, our salads, our nachos: it was really a cool picture seeing everyone reaching over and under and around, passing things across the table, moving things around, etc. It was cool.

Per usual, we had a great discussion, even though most of us thought the book (Beautiful Ruins) was not our favorite.

Now, I'm about ten minutes from bed. My muscles are pretty sore from my run yesterday (jogging from the tennis courts to my car in the torrential downpour was interesting -- I looked a hot mess), and now my upper back is absolutely killing me. I just downed some Ibuprofen and need to lie down -- stat.

Breakfast: I was too busy dealing with email crap to take a picture of my breakfast, but if you want to know what it looked like, imagine last night's Paleo Oatmeal in a Tupperware container on top of a school-issued concrete desk. Lovely.

Lunch:


One of the usuals: sweet potato, green pepper, jalapeno, avocado, chicken sausage. Yum.

Dinner:


I threw together a taco salad with beef, tomatoes, onions, guacamole, salsa, and black olives. It was really, really good, and I'm not going to lie: I'm already looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow.

It was interesting buying and preparing food that I don't eat anymore -- shredded cheese, queso, sour cream, etc. I almost, out of habit, licked the queso spoon after stirring it from the microwave, but I stopped myself at the last minute. And, I was sure to send everything non-compliant home with my friends. I think that was a smart move.


Well, friends, I'm going to head to bed. Sorry for the super short, non-exciting post. I'm wiped!

G'night!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for book club, I might have to steal it for mine!

    ReplyDelete