Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Rant

Did you miss me yesterday?  I thought so.

The day ended up getting away from me: I started with an 8:30 boot camp class that really kicked my butt. It was a relay-style class that included bear crawls, crab walks, and lots and lots and lots of sprints and squats.  It was hard and exhausting but still felt really good - and I got progressively more sore as the day went on.

Then the weekend tradition of breakfast and errands with the BFF commenced.  We went to the Drake Diner with a coupon, and I devoured a skillet with potatoes, cheese, sausage, egg, and loads of veggies.  You know, had it not been for the oil that it was apparently drowned in, it wouldn't have been all that unhealthy.  There were way more vegetables than there was potato or cheese, but the oil totally made up for it.

(Look at me trying to rationalize even though yesterday was my free day.)

Anyway, stay tuned for the upcoming post about food as fuel - in which I will discuss this dining experience.

After errands, I took a quick nap before heading over to another friend's house for a dinner party.  It was so much fun.  We hadn't seen T&K&E for what seemed like ever, so it was really, really nice.  Plus, dinner was delicious: baked chicken with roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.  I also had a glass and a half of wine.

Then I headed to Star Bar - my personal favorite hangout - and had another few glasses of wine.  Oops.

I got home relatively early but decided to just crash instead of blog.  I figured you would understand.

Much of today was spent like this:


I was camped in front of the TV watching the Law and Order: SVU marathon, spooning Charlie...


...while Chloe was curled up behind my legs on the opposite end of the couch.  We were a bunch of bums, to say the least.

I headed out around noon with my sister for a bridesmaid dress fitting.  There's nothing quite like stripping into your bra and panties for another woman to measure various body parts.

Bear and I decided to ease the pain from that experience with sushi.  :)  We each had a squid salad and then split the spicy tuna and the Iowa roll.  It was okay but definitely not the best sushi I've had in a while - it tasted kind of...not fresh.

Food coma set in, and I headed back to claim my spot between the kitties on the couch.  After a couple hours of being unable to nap, I finally mustered up the motivation to head out for a run:


With weather like that, wouldn't you be dying to hit the pavement, too?  It was drizzly, slippery!, and cold all day, but I knew that I'd feel like a blob if I didn't head out...

However, I'm not sure it was a wonderful idea.  I've been recovering from a horrible ear infection for the last several days, thereby leaving my immune system relatively non-existent, and I'm sure the cold did not help that at all.  Oh well.

I ran a measly 2.7 miles anyway.  I headed out the opposite direction than normal and realized quickly that I must live on the top of a very gradual hill.  Regardless of the direction that I go, I always end up running uphill much of the route.  And that, my friends, is not fun.

One thing I thought I'd mention is how much I hate idiots when I run.  Let me set the stage: it's about 5:00 p.m., and it's starting to get dark out.  The ground is slippery due to the rain and there are patches of snow and ice everywhere.  I'm nearing the end of my run, and all of a sudden, there's a cacophony of honks.  I turn my head, and there's an idiot DB screaming something at me from out his car window.  I'm assuming it was some sort of catcall or comment about how awesome I look in this spandex-y get-up:


Regardless, it really ticked me off.  First and foremost, it scared the bejeezus out of me.  I thought I'd done something totally wrong - you know, from the safety of my sidewalk.  Second, what the heck are these idiots thinking?!  That girls like and/or appreciate that kind of attention?  This girl doesn't.  Let me run my spandexed butt off in peace.

Rant: concluded.

I quickly showered and hit the road - in a car this time - to head to BFF's for "family" dinner.  It was a good night, complete with Made (BFF's cousin was the triathlete coach in a recent episode!) and ghost hunting, courtesy of one of our friend's six-year-olds.

Dinner was also delicious:


Crab cakes, roasted potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a fruit salad.  It certainly wasn't the healthiest of all dinners, but that's precisely why I ran this afternoon - I knew it'd be absolutely delicious (BFF is an amazing cook), and I knew I'd want to eat my heart out.

Despite my less-than-wonderful food choices today, I was only 41 calories over my allotted amount (thanks, wine-with-dinner).

Oh well.  Exceptions every now and again are definitely permissible.  I mean, if this "diet" is going to be a true lifestyle change, it has to be something I can make work.  And if a free day and a semi-free day make the rest of the week manageable, that is something I'm definitely okay with.  :)

Off to bed, y'all!  I'm wiped!  G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment