Thursday, January 12, 2012

Not Enough Hours In A Day

I feel like every post this week has started with me saying how exhausted I am.  I just can't help it.  Tonight I didn't get home until 9:00, making it yet another 14-hour day.  I need Saturday...badly.

This morning I hurriedly chugged down a Virgin Cabo Daiquiri; this time I had the proper ingredients (i.e. mango), and it was just as delicious as it was without.  I think that's my favorite shake so far.

I was busy all morning - helping students, grading papers, monitoring final-taking, etc. - and plumb forgot to eat my snack.  By the time I remembered, it was nearly lunchtime, so I held out for a salad from Palmer's Deli.  Today I opted for Romaine lettuce, cucumber, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, turkey, and an egg, topped with nonfat summer tomato dressing.  It was...okay.

My stomach was super upset today, which is probably one of the reasons lunch wasn't wonderful.  My tummy kept a-rumblin', and I thought I was going to have to make a mad dash to the restroom, similar to what I had to do during first block.  I'm super irritated because I've been eating so well, working out, etc.  There is no reason I should be getting sick - or should be having stomach issues.  But, I'm on day three (I think) of an antibiotic, and I'm thinking that may be what's causing the internal drama.  Ugh.

Sorry for the TMI.  If you know me well, you should know by now that I pretty much just put it all out there.  :)

After lunch, I had two meetings.  One of them was for a super great cause, though: a trip to Los Angeles!  In late April, three colleagues and I will be heading to the City of Angels for the A Dream Deferred conference, and I couldn't be more excited.  First, the subject of the conference is very dear to my heart and one of my major passions, and second, it's LOS ANGELES!  I love, love, love Southern California!

I then headed to my evening meeting.  (Well, that was after I got my nails did - actually, after I got my nails halfway did.  I was running too late and have to go back tomorrow for them to get painted.  Right now they look a raggedy mess.  Color suggestions?!)

Tangent: complete.

My evening meeting was for Planned Parenthood Young Leaders, an organization of which I am so proud to be a part.  It is a great group of young professionals, all passionate about similar issues.  Tonight was our annual "retreat," so we headed to my co-chair's house for dinner and business.  I brought my mom's famous white chili recipe - which I'll share with you when I can take a picture.  :)  It's embarrassingly easy.  In addition to a bowl of white chili topped with crushed tortilla chips and a sprinkling of shredded cheese, I had a few crackers with cheese slices for an appetizer and a few pieces of fruit (pineapple, honeydew, grapes) for dessert.  Overall, I did fairly well.

Today wasn't the best, though: I missed my morning snack, my afternoon snack, and my evening snack. While it might sound good that I ate less, it actually is detrimental, as eating smaller meals more frequently really helps one's metabolism.  Unfortunately, that just wasn't in the cards for today.  Also missing, obviously, was my workout.  Thursdays are always really busy for me for some reason, so I've just resigned myself to using that as my free day.  In turn, I will run three miles on Sunday - and maybe go for a short run on Saturday, too.

After all, there is a 5k I was planning on running Saturday, and since my race calendar is quickly getting changed (my soon-to-be sister-in-law's bachelorette party the weekend of Dam-to-Dam and the LA conference the weekend of the Drake 8k), I should probably stick to the other ones I've scheduled.

Eh, we'll see.  I can always just do the distances on my own.

But that is a worry for another day.  I'm pooped right now and am desperately needing a really, really good night's sleep.  And a chiller than chill weekend.

What are your plans for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment