Monday, February 6, 2012

Sick Day

I had all good intentions to go to school today.  I mean, I didn't feel amazing last night, but it definitely wasn't the worst I've felt either.

After I finished watching The Voice (guilty pleasure, I know), I headed to bed where I read for awhile because I wasn't yet super tired.  I finally turned off my light around 11:00 to actually sleep, but I...couldn't.  I laid in bed for about an hour, and then I decided to turn on some relaxing music: still...nothing.  I laid in bed until 2:00 in the morning, and that is when I finally decided that yes, I was sick, and that yes, I should probably get a substitute for the morning.

So, I got out of bed - wide awake at 2 a.m. - and spent about an hour writing my lesson plans and submitting my absence.  I think I finally fell asleep around 4:15 a.m., and aside from waking up a little before school started to make sure my sub had made it and my lesson plans were printed, I slept until about 11:00.

I've been feeling better as the day has gone on: my hacking cough has become more infrequent, and my energy level has risen a teensy bit.  However, I'm still not sounding like myself...at all.  My voice is more akin to Lindsey Bluth when she's trying to hit on Steve Holt.

In case you haven't seen Arrested Development, it's not hot.

After I finally peeled myself off the couch today, I debated, debated, and debated some more about whether or not to head to school for an afternoon meeting.  I finally decided that that wasn't a smart idea, and since I couldn't make it in for either school or my meeting, I also decided that going to the gym wasn't smart.

In addition, according to my Bible (Web MD), it is not advisable to workout if you're sick "below the neck."  Since my sexy voice is stemming from chest congestion (I think), I should not be exercising.

However, I still did a bazillion abs exercises today and will probably not follow that advice tomorrow.  We'll play it by ear, I guess.

There's nothing like wanting to workout when you can't.

Instead of working, exercising, and being productive today, I took several pictures for your viewing enjoyment - all between episodes of Law and Order: CI, of course.

First up: breakfast.


I haven't been super hungry today - I must really be sick!  But I drank down an Almond Joy smoothie for breakfast.  (This is one of my favorite recipes from the Abs Diet but maybe the first time I actually photographed it.  Totally looks like chocolate milk, huh?)

As I was lying on the couch - likely in hour three or four of Law and Order, I heard a knock on my door.  The mail carrier was here with a present for me: my Stella and Dot order!

Let's check out the goods:

A brand-new iPhone case!  (Laugh it up, laugh it up!)
Clockwise from left: the Vitality Necklace, the Signature Leaf Charm, the Hematite Studs, the Glint Flower CZ Earrings, and the Stackable Deco Rings.

Oh wait!  There's more!
The Capri Chandelier Earrings, the Soiree Trio Ring, the Sidewinder Ring, and the Serenity Small Stone Drops.   
How cool are these?!  I mean, wow!
And last but not least, the Zoe Lariat Necklace.
Side note: I am so excited about Stella & Dot.  I was initially apprehensive about starting yet another professional adventure, but I am loving, loving, loving every minute of it.  And I mean, come on: free jewelry?!  Yes, please!

After I finished sorting through all of my new jewels, I was a bit hungry, so I grabbed a bowl of some new-to-me popcorn from Trader Joe's:



It is soooooo good.  I think my love for popcorn stems from one of my first careers as a gourmet popcorn aficionado, but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, I love it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.


Anyway, try this TJ's popcorn: the olive oil gives it a yummy flavor.  Promise.

Let's take a look at yet more photos, shall we?  Check out this invention from Bed, Bath, and Beyond: an infusion pitcher:


My mom has one of these, and it's absolute magic.  You can fill the center tube with lemons, limes, cucumbers, etc.

Well, turns out there is such a thing as too much lemon.  The water that is infused in this particular pitcher tastes a bit like Pledge.  With all the lemons I consumed through my glass of water at dinner, all those pesky toxins better be out of my muscles!

While I really wanted to chow down on some Kraft Mac & Cheese (my personal favorite meal ever) for dinner, I opted for a healthy option due to my lack of exercise the last three days.  (UGH.)

I "stole" a recipe from one of my all-time favorite bloggers, Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats: the Taste the Rainbow Salad.


I chopped up a Cara Cara orange, a blood orange, a navel orange, and an avocado and sauteed half a pound of shrimp.  I piled it on top of a bed of spinach and romaine, sprinkled the whole thing with about a fourth a cup of pomegranate arils, and topped it with Kristin's lemon poppyseed dressing.


On the side, I had a toasted whole-wheat English muffin because I know me: I need some carbs, or I will not be "full."

The meal was delicious.  Make it.  Now.

I said that all of the ingredients made two servings, and each serving totals 556 calories, according to My Fitness Pal: there are 46 carbs, 31 grams of fat, and 27 grams of protein in each serving.

Well, I'm going to go chug some more water, sip some hot tea, finish watching The Voice and, probably Smash afterwards.  What can I say?  I've succumbed to the advertising.

G'night, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Need To Boost Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete