Saturday, February 18, 2012

An Exercise Plan

I wanted to first apologize for the irregular blogging this week.  First, I only blogged on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; second, I did not even blog about healthy living on Tuesday or Thursday.

However, I promise I was doing what I was supposed to be doing!

On Monday, as you know, I did a Y-Pump class in addition to Fab Ab February.

On Tuesday, I ran three miles - on a treadmill.  Ugh.  I also did Fab Ab February.

On Wednesday, I ran two miles with ERB, one of my co-workers and a See-Us Run Des Moines mentor.  It was really, really great catching up with her, and the run was super easy since we were yapping the whole way.

On Thursday, I was supposed to do Zumba but did not for a couple of reasons.  First, I chickened out: I am not at all coordinated and am pretty much the world's worst dancer, and those two qualities make me super nervous for a dance-based exercise class.  Second, I felt like I could really benefit from a rest day.  So, Mags and I headed to Star Bar for catfish tacos and a glass of wine, and then I headed to Americana for a date - a good one!

On Friday, ERB and I ran another three miles.  Thankfully we had already committed to each other because I really, really didn't want to run.  It was a beautiful day, but I just wasn't in the mood for some reason.  However, we headed out down a familiar path (Polk Boulevard, which I could run with my eyes closed), and down the hill toward Ashworth Pool and Greenwood Park.  After all:

Source
It was a great run going out, and we did a mile-and-a-half in just over 16 minutes.  The way back, though, was when it got tough, as much of it was uphill.  We walked a few times and caught our breath, but we finished strong - three miles in 35 minutes.  Plus, as always, it was great running with ERB: great friend, great conversation, and one of my most favoritest running buddies.

Today, I woke up around 8:00 and lounged around a bit before heading to the YMCA for Y-Pump:

Source
It felt really, really good.  (Plus, I had on a really cute outfit, and I can totally tell my body is looking different when I stare at it for 45 minutes in a floor-to-ceiling mirror.)

Here's something I'm finding interesting: there are times when I finish working out (yesterday and today, especially) and get into my car, start driving, and start thinking, Okay, you need to get a workout in - when are you going to do that today?  Then I remind myself, Emily, you're so dumb sometimes: you just worked out!


What the heck?!

Instead of turning around and heading back to the gym, I went to Panera.  I have been craving a cinnamon crunch bagel something fierce lately.  I haven't had one of those in years - and didn't even drool over them as much as everyone else when I was younger.  But I have been dying for one lately!

So today, I succumbed to the craving and devoured an entire bagel in about 30 seconds.  And it was oh, so good.

After a three-and-a-half hour nap today (I know!), I did Wednesday's Fab Ab February workout - oops.  In approximately ten minutes, I will be doing Thursday's Fab Ab February workout - oops.


Tomorrow, after running four miles and doing an hour-long Zumba class (if I don't chicken out again), I will be doing Friday's and Saturday's Fab Ab February workout - oops and oops.

Good thing I have help:

This shot is taken from face-level, looking directly above my chest.  She's such a good helper.
The planks are getting a bit more difficult, though:


I literally had to remind myself of this over and over and over for the last 20 seconds:

Your body is stronger than your mind thinks it is.

And it worked!  I did it without taking any breaks.  I hope that mantra is just as effective on February 29th when I'm doing a two-minute plank.  :)

Alright: time for me to do one more round of Fab Ab February, take my first shower of the day, and head downtown for yet another date.  The boys are just beating down my door, I tell ya!

Question: any advice for a Zumba newbie?  Any locals wanna Zumba-it-up with me?  I'm so nervous!

No comments:

Post a Comment