Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lesson Learned

Let me start with something I've been meaning to tell you for weeks - maybe even months.

(Every time I run, I think, Oooooh!  I need to remember to write about this!  And then the thought slips my mind when I stop writing and am actually capable of jotting down my idea.)

My sense of smell is über-sensitive when I am working out - especially when I'm running.

When I was running on the treadmill the other day, a woman hopped on the elliptical in front of me and reeked of perfume.  (In reality, she likely only had a normal spritz on, but I felt like I was going to drown in floral.)

When I run outside and pass someone puffing away on a cigarette, I take one whiff of those noxious fumes and nearly vomit.

When I run downtown and pass the plethora of restaurants and inhale their appetizing aromas, I gag at the thought of any sort of food.

It's bad.

Today was a fun-filled day of fab friends and exhausting exercise.  However, I made some mistakes - and learned some lessons - that I am going to discuss with you right now.

First, I lazed about for much of the morning and finally headed to my good friends' house for brunch.  I stopped at the store to grab a bottle of champagne (everyone else enjoyed mimosas), and then I did something totally disgusting: I was craving an eclair, so I bought a package, ate one, and threw the rest away.

How embarrassing.

Mistake #1: eating pastries - not just before working out but, pretty much, ever.

At brunch, I drank a few sips of water and two cups of coffee and inhaled the deliciousness that Mindy cooked:


In the top left, we have a potato and egg casserole, followed by bacon, blueberry bread/pudding, pineapple, and avocado.  I avoided the pastries because - oh yeah - I had already stuffed an eclair in my face.

Again, so embarrassing.

Mistake #2: not eating healthy food prior to working out.

Mistake #3: not drinking enough water prior to working out.

I left brunch early to go to Zumba.  This was my first class ever, and I was so, so, so nervous.  I tried so hard to look like this:

Source
but I'm pretty sure I looked like this for most of the time:

Source
Coordination and rhythm are not my strong suits.

That being said, I will definitely be going back.  It was fun - and I'm sure it will be more fun when I'm not stressed about following the instructor.  And, it was a darn good workout.  I was sweating profusely when I left.

Mistake #3: not drinking enough water after a workout.

After I left the Y, I headed straight for Caribou: I had lots of school work to get done and knew I was not going to be productive if I went home.  After all, there was a Law and Order: SVU marathon on, and, well, we know how that goes.

At the coffee shop, I graded two classes of assignments, started reading a book that I will be teaching in a couple of weeks, and drank a chai latte.

Mistake #4: drinking more coffee and no water after a workout.

I was also distracted the whole time watching a dad and his little boy play a game of chess.  It was probably the cutest thing ever:


Finally, Mags called me to go for our long run.  

Yes, you heard that correctly: not only did I do an hour of Zumba without eating healthfully or drinking water, but I was also going to head out on a four-mile run.

Generally, unlike coordination and rhythm, intelligence is my strong suit but, apparently, not today.

I got all prepped:

Road I.D. + Garmin + route scrawled on back of hand (didn't think that one through since it quickly smeared into each wrinkle as soon as I started sweating).
And headed to pick up Mags.  We headed downtown and started our loop at 15th and Grand - on the west side of the sculpture garden.  We started out east on Locust until we hit 5th Street where we headed south to Court Avenue.  We ran through the strip of bars and restaurants and continued heading east (up a huge hill) until we reached the state capitol:


How gorgeous was it today?!

We headed north on Finkbine (the street that curves in front of the capitol), and I walked for about a block, and then we turned back west on Des Moines Street, which was a nice downhill slope, giving us a beautiful view of downtown Des Moines:

Sorry for the blurred picture: I was running.
We continued the rest of the way - Mags a bit in front of me since she's a bit faster - to Robert D. Ray Drive, south to Grand Avenue, west to 15th Street, and back to our car.

It was a great, great run, and one of my best in a long time:


And it felt gooooooood!

But then I headed home, took the fastest shower ever, ran to the grocery store, and went straight to BFF's house for "family" dinner.

Mistake #5: not taking a break after a run.

Mistake #6: not refueling immediately after a run.

Mistake #7: not chugging water after a run.

I drank some coconut water as soon as I got to BFF's house and munched on what was probably too many chips and guacamole and salsa (oh, and a delicious chocolate chip cookie).  And then I nearly vomited.  

I could not eat dinner because I felt so sick from my abundance of poor decisions.  I drank a huge mason jar of water and choked down some ibuprofen for my sore muscles (darn minimalist shoes), and I think that made me feel even sicker.

I wrapped up my dinner plate and headed home.  I'm going to drink some more water and then crash.

My workout plan for the week:
  • Monday: Y-Pump (5:10 a.m., hopefully, if I'm feeling better)
  • Tuesday: 3-mile run
  • Wednesday: Y-Pump and a 2-mile run (after school)
  • Thursday: rest day
  • Friday: 3-mile run
  • Saturday: Y-Pump and a 4-mile run
  • Sunday: Zumba
I feel like that's a lot of working out, but the running is a must for my training schedule, and I think the strength training (Y-Pump) and cross-training (Zumba) are really important for injury-prevention.

On a completely different note, I had another first date last night.  (Yes, I'm the Queen of First Dates.)  This one was awesome.  I am really, really excited about the potential.  However, if I say any more about it, I'll likely screw it up, so I'll just leave it at that for now.  Stay tuned.

What is your workout schedule for the week?  How do you incorporate a good mix of strength- and cross-training when you're training for an event - especially a race?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are awesome!!!

    I'm glad you like Zumba! We have to go together sometime!

    I just realized I didn't text you back. You are probably asleep so I will til tomorrow but lets get together this week. I can do Tuesday or Saturday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done Zumba a few times. It is fun, but it never fails that I'll eventually let 'the white girl out' with my lack of coordination. :)

    Here's wishing you a week of MORE WATER!

    ReplyDelete