Saturday, February 11, 2012

Brr!

I know you've been waiting with bated breath for the big secret that was to be revealed on Thursday.  Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for one more day: I want to tell you about today.

If you remember, I posted my race schedule awhile back.  Well...I have not done a phenomenal job of sticking to that.  In fact, I skipped my first race because I was in the throes of boot camp and could not fathom doing two workouts in one day.  And today, I was supposed to run five miles but only did the 5K instead.

It turns out that was the better option, though: I was sick all week, I've only run a few times in the past several weeks due to boot camp, and it was -13 degree windchill.

Did you catch that?

NEGATIVE THIRTEEN DEGREE WINDCHILL.

If it hadn't been for my dear friend Kiara, I would've stayed in my warm bed this morning.  It is all her fault thanks to her that I got my workout in for the day.

Now, what does one wear to run 3.1 miles in the bitter cold of an Iowa winter?  Let me show you.

But first: my apologies for the spandex.  And the hair and make-up: I literally rolled out of bed at the very last minute possible and threw on running garb.

Step One: running tights and running tanktop (the only tops I wear to workout).


Step Two: another pair of running tights and a moisture-wicking top.


Step Three: two layers of socks, a very, very warm hooded workout top, and my marathon headband (because it keeps my ears warm).


Step Four: yet another really, really warm workout top and an athletic hat.


Step Five: yet another hat and a fluffy scarf - because it was the Red Flannel Run!  Kiara and I were going to go get goofy costumes last night, but we decided dinner, packet pick-up, and watching a high-school basketball game (we're conference champs!) were more important.


Step Six: bib number, timing chip, smile, and requisite race picture!


While I was cursing Kiara as I was lying in my warm bed this morning, hoping she would say we shouldn't run, I am very happy that we did it.  It was a fun race - pretty flat - and it went by fairly quickly.  In fact, I believe it was my fastest 5K yet at 32:37.  I understand that this is in no way a wonderful time for 3.1 miles, but I was pretty pleased that my pace was under 11 minutes, and I was also pretty darn thrilled that a.) I survived the race, and b.) I ran it decently considering the fact that I have been sick and have completely neglected running due to boot camp.

I will be back tomorrow with a recap of the rest of the weekend - and, as promised, the surprise from Thursday.

But for now, I'm off like a prom dress.  :)

3 comments:

  1. This is really so amazing! I loved all the photos with layer after layer! Good for you, Emily! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, Cuddl Duds makes an activewear layer that I LOVE. I wear it under my running pants (but the bottoms are legging-style, so they could go under leggings). It wicks away moisture and helps keep me warm, especially when it's windy/cold outside. :)

    Congrats on getting out there to race on such a cold day--especially when it would have been so easy to back out due to the cold.

    ReplyDelete