Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'm Freeeeeeeee!

I have already talked about the meal plan that I am currently following: I eat six meals per day, and at each meal, I try to get 33 grams of carbs (except for the last meal) and 14-18 grams of protein.  While it's not part of the plan per se, I try to limit saturated fats, sugars, and sodium.  (Although, I should probably be paying closer attention to that last one -- I love me some sodium.)

Part of the meal plan is, however, to have one free day per week.  This is included for a number of reasons.  First, it is important for the body to not feel "deprived," to not feel "restricted."  Second, it helps with discipline: it is much easier to say no to fro-yo during the week if I know I can have it on my free day.  Finally, it helps to show what I used to feel like when I ate the "cheats" on a daily basis.


While we technically have an entire day to "cheat," I try to be relatively healthy nevertheless.  After all, I don't want to feel like poop (literally) the following day, and I don't want to undo all of the hard work that I put in the rest of the week.

In addition, Farrell's recommends taking the free day on Sunday: you don't have to exercise, and you don't have to follow the meal plan.  I, however, am choosing to take my free day on Saturday: I wake up early and work out, eat relatively healthfully during the day, and splurge on a nice dinner and a glass of wine (or two or three) without fearing feeling icky for an early morning workout.

So, without further ado, let's review my free day:

I woke up at 5:30 and went to resistance training at 6:00.  When I came home, I made some dessert oats before crashing on the couch for a couple of hours.  For my morning snack, I ate a leftover marshmallow Peep (didn't taste all that good, surprisingly), and approximately five jelly beans followed by my "real" snack of string cheese and an apple.

For lunch, BFF and I headed to the Drake Diner, and I had half a vegetarian omelet (with portobello mushrooms, spinach, tomatos, onion).  There was a heck of a lot of cheese on top, so I scraped a good portion off to make it a bit healthier.  Instead of hashbrowns, I paid extra for a fruit bowl (and only ate half of it), and sided the whole shebang with a piece of wheat toast and mixed berry jelly.  For going to a greasy diner for breakfast, I felt like I made a pretty darn good choice.

And really, that filled me up until dinner time.  For dinner, The Boy and I had "date night" and headed to Haiku for sushi.  To start, I had a squid salad and a glass of malbec, and The Boy had a cup of miso and a dirty martini:


For dinner, we ordered the rainbow roll, the Alaska roll, the Philadelphia roll, and a crab tempura roll:


This was seriously the best sushi that either of us has ever had.  It wasn't caked in tons of rice, and the flavors were absolutely amazing.  And, it was affordable!  The entire bill -- with appetizers, drinks, and tax included -- was only $50.  For a night of sushi, that is nothing.

When we got home from date night, The Boy and I put in The Invention of Lying, and I promptly fell asleep just after the opening credits.  This is not unusual for me and absolutely drives The Boy (a former film major) absolutely crazy.

Prior to crashing on the couch, though, I had a handful of Whoppers (I estimate about 15) and another small handful of jelly beans (around five or so).

Despite the not-so wonderful choices I made (and the 800-calorie dinner I enjoyed), I still did not do too horribly:


I was only 21 calories over what was allotted to me by My Fitness Pal (including calories that I am allowed because of the morning workout).  I do want to clarify, though, that while I did my best entering everything accurately, restaurant-made food is nearly impossible to record with 100% accuracy, as you never know how exactly it is prepared, what oils they use, etc.

Despite eating relatively decently on my cheat day, my stomach still wasn't super happy with me this morning, just proving yet again that healthy eating is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment