Thursday, April 18, 2013

Busiest of Busy Days

While this little ol' blog o' mine started out as a healthy-living blog, it quickly morphed into a what-did-I-do-all-day-today blog.

And for some reason, y'all my mom loved it.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why.  I mean, I'm not that interesting: I workout in the mornings, I teach, I usually have one or two meetings, I cook dinner, and then I go to bed.

Wild and crazy, I say.  Wild. And. Crazy.

Because I'm really digging the return to the healthy-living focus, I'm going to stick with that and continue giving you super delish recipes, talk about how much I hurt from working out, and stuff of that nature.

But, I wanted to update you on what I have been doing in my day-to-day life as of late.

So, here you go:

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and was scared poop-less by my landlord who was in my hallway at 4:40 a.m.  Apparently our basement had approximately four inches of water in it, and he had to fix it in the middle of the night.

Then, I worked on getting some sweet guns for 50 minutes in upper-body day.  If I could just work my triceps a bit harder, I'd have some pretty cut arms.  Woot woot.

After coming home and getting ready and preparing food and eating breakfast and reading blogs, I headed to work.

As soon as the bell rang, I changed for Workout #2.  Today was the second practice for See-Us Run Des Moines, and we tried to work with the kids on pacing.  We ran three 1/3-mile laps around a block near school and timed the kid after each lap, hoping that they would be within a few seconds for each one.  Most of the kiddos did pretty well, but we have a lot of work to do with some of them.  The Grand Blue Mile next week should be interesting.

When practice ended, I had to drive one of my favorite students home.  I love this girl.  She came to the States two-and-a-half years ago from Honduras and is just one of the sweetest, most motivated, most conscientious students I know.  She was telling me today on the ride home that she just loves her parents and wants to show them that she not only appreciates everything they do for her but wants to "pay them back" with good grades.  She talked about having difficulties in some of her classes because of her language barrier, and we came up with different strategies we could use to help alleviate those.  She told me her career aspirations of an immigration lawyer or a domestic-assault advocate.  I just love her to pieces, and getting to know the students in a more casual setting is one of my favorite parts of See-Us Run.

Okay, enough gushing about my kids.

After I dropped her off, The Boy and I headed to Beaverdale (yes, that is a real neighborhood, tee hee) to hang up 80/35 posters.  80/35 is a huge, two-day festival over the Fourth of July weekend, and in exchange for one free ticket to one day of the show, The Boy and I agreed to distribute 30 posters around the neighborhood.

Thirty posters in 30 stores doesn't seem like that big a deal until you're actually hanging 'em all up.

It took forever.  And I probably should've worn my Garmin since I'm pretty darn sure we walked a million miles.  In the freezing cold, biting wind, and stinging sleet.

Finally, we came home and cooked dinner.  It was really, really good: pan-grilled chicken with chorizo confetti:

I swear there's chicken hiding under all of that soy chorizo.  (Note: the recipe called for 1/4 cup of chorizo, but since I used soy chorizo and was really hungry, I made about a half cup.  Also, the recipe called for 1/4 cup yellow and red pepper and two tablespoons of green pepper, but I threw in all three whole peppers because I love me some veggies.)  We sided the entree with The Boy's sweet potatoes.


Now, at 9:00 p.m., I am ready to hit the hay.

I. am. wiped.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad I am missing the weekday runs! Cannot wait for student teaching to be over! :)