Monday, April 8, 2013

Crab Cakes with Mango-Avocado Salsa

As promised, here is a brand-new recipe to try for dinner tonight!

I love, love, love seafood, and one of my favorite things are crab cakes.  However, after making them on my own, I rarely order them in restaurants, even when I'm sitting on the ocean.  Restaurant crab cakes seem way too greasy and unhealthy, and who needs that when you can eat these?  :)

So, here's what you need for the crab cakes (adapted from Cooking Light):


  • Old Bay seasoning
  • Red onion
  • Parsley
  • Egg whites
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Panko
  • 1 lb crab
  • Plain Greek yogurt
  • Grey Poupon
I'm sure Cooking Light has specific measurements for all of these things, but I seriously just eyeball it.  For instance, I really like Grey Poupon, so I put more than necessary in.  I like things to be super-seasoned, so I dump the Old Bay fairly liberally.  Measuring red onion?  Ain't nobody got time for dat.

So anyway, dump all of those ingredients together and mix well.  Then, cover and put in the fridge while you make the salsa.

Here's what you'll need for that (adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow and Bon Appetit):

 

  • Olive oil
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Avocado (usually only one -- I was making extra for additional people)
  • Mango
  • Limes
Chop the avocado, mango, and cherry tomatoes, then douse with the juice of one (or two) limes and a splash of olive oil.  Mix well and refrigerate.

After about 30 minutes of chilling in the fridge, remove the crab mixture and separate into eight sections.  Form each of those sections into a crabby patty and coat with Panko prior to plopping in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Let them get nice and crispy.  (If they're not crisping up like they should, stick 'em in the oven for about 10 minutes; that should do the trick.)

Serve two patties per person (unless you're watching protein/carb intake like me and just take one) and top with the salsa.  These are especially delicious when paired with roasted veggies.


Let me know how you like 'em!

2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for these! Emmy made them when she was home and they are incredible! (And this from someone who never orders them in restaurants unless I am in Maryland.)

    ReplyDelete