Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Super Girl

For the next 30 days, I will be participating in the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge by blogging about a predetermined topic each morning.  Please visit http://blog.wegohealth.com to learn more - and please check back each evening for your regularly scheduled programming.


At one point in time, we've all dreamed of being a superhero with superpowers that would change the world.

Source
Some of us wanted to be invisible.  (In fact, I'm pretty sure all middle school boys wanted to be invisible in order to sneak into the girls' locker room or the slumber party next door.)

Some of us wanted to be able to teleport.  (Personally, I crossed my fingers every summer that this would be a new invention so that we would not have to drive the 11 hours to Bismarck and could instead just be there.)

Some of us wanted to fly, to see the world from a bird's eye view.  (Plus, it'd be a lot easier to get across town than sitting through rush-hour traffic.)

Some of us wanted superhuman strength.  (Do you know how badly I want to do an unassisted pull-up?!  I bet this would help.  A lot.)

Every single child dreams of being a superhero.

And, some of us still do.

As an adult, it is difficult to pin down one superpower, one thing in which I would like to excel.  And if I had to choose one thing, it would be quite different than what I would have selected as a child.  When I was younger - as most children are - I was self-centered and would've likely selected a power that would have benefited me, largely without considering how it would affect others.

Today, however, is a different story.

While this is a bit unconventional - I mean, I'm not soaring to the top of a skyscraper, thwarting the masked villain's plans, or lifting up cars with my index finger - I would want to have the superpower of making life easier for those in need, whether that area of need is physical, emotional, mental, economic, etc.

Truly.

Perhaps this would come in the form of omniscience: if I knew everything about everyone, I could quite possibly help them in unknown ways.  Perhaps this would come in the form of ESP: if I could sense what someone needed without him or her telling me, I could instinctively do something to make his or her life better.  Or, perhaps this would come in the form of time travel: I could alter events that had already occurred to make life better for those in the current time.

But I am not a superhero.  I don't have superpowers.  I still try, though, every single day, to make life easier for those who need it - which is precisely why I am a teacher.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment