Friday, April 6, 2012

Not a Poet, Didn't Ya Know It?

For the next 30 days, I will be participating in the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge by blogging about a predetermined topic each morning.  Please visit http://blog.wegohealth.com to learn more - and please check back each evening for your regularly scheduled programming.

Remember how I told you that I really liked most of the prompts for the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge?  And then remember how I told you that some would be, um, interesting?

Well, today's falls into the latter category.  The "assignment" was to write a haiku about my health focus.

Source
I have a confession: I am not a poetry person.  (Therefore, I find the above quote to be quite debatable.)

I know.  Judge away: I was an English major.  I am an English educator.  And yet, I am not a fan of poetry.

Of course, there is some that I like.  For instance, I love a lot of Latina poetry; Judith Ortiz Cofer and Sandra Cisneros are amazing.  I also have a soft spot for Robert Frost; I mean, I'm tattooing "miles to go before I sleep" on my foot as soon as I find a lull in my training.  I'm intrigued by Charles Bukowski; he's a weird dude.  And, there are various other poems that stir up great emotion for me.

I would not, however, open a book of poetry to entertain myself.

And I certainly would not write poetry as a pastime.

So, today's prompt caused me great anxiety.  And, this is all I could devise:

a balanced diet
cardio and strength training
foster healthy lives

Please note: there are no capital letters or punctuation.  If I'm going to write poetry, I'm going to go all e.e. cummings on y'all.  He eschewed capital letters and punctuation and was quite successful, so I'm going to say screw it, too.

I'm not holding my breath to become the next poet laureate.  

I'm just hoping y'all still want to read my blog after this hot mess of an entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment