Thursday, February 27, 2014

Whole30 -- Day 4

This is going to be a short post, as it has been a hectic day.

First, I had to call my landlord on Monday because my kitchen sink was not draining at all, and water was instead bubbling up in the attached sink. On Tuesday, he fixed it, so I was finally able to do all of the dishes from Monday. Last night, as I was doing the dishes from Tuesday (since I was so over doing the prior day's dishes due to the fact that I had already done a bazillion dishes), the sink did the exact same thing. So, my landlord fixed it this morning. When I got home from school, I did all of these dishes:


Let me tell you something about the Whole30: you use a lot of dishes. I think I have used every single pot, pan, wooden spoon, spatula, knife, cutting board, and Tupperware at least three times in the last four days.

But I digress. Let me get back to Hectic Day.

I did all my dishes, bummed around for a bit doing absolutely nothing, cooked dinner (which I'll get to shortly), and headed out for an appointment.

I was only going to be gone for an hour, and I almost didn't even lock my door. In retrospect, that would've been the smart choice: when I returned home, I could not get into my apartment. The key went into the lock, the knob turned, the lock sounded like it was unlocking, but nothing happened. I seriously tried for about ten minutes before calling my landlord.

(Thankfully, I live in a secure-entry building, so I was indoors rather than standing in sub-zero temperatures.)

He came over, gave it a go for another 15 minutes, and called a locksmith. We waited for 30 minutes until the locksmith arrived, who then took another 20 minutes trying to get into the apartment.

(I was nervous that the lock would turn immediately when my landlord showed up, so when he couldn't unlock it and the locksmith couldn't unlock it, I was like, "Okay, this is legit.")

This is what I'm dealing with until tomorrow, friends:


Awesome.

Now, let's chat about the stuff you really want to read.

Breakfast:


This breakfast -- or some variation thereof -- should be starting to look a bit familiar. I fried up a link of chicken sausage, sauteed a green pepper with some 'shrooms, scrambled all of that with an egg, and topped that deliciousness with an avocado and some salsa.

Lunch:


As usual, lunch was last night's leftovers: prosciutto-wrapped chicken stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts topped with Brussels sprouts and sided with an apple. This meal was pretty good last night, but it was just too much today. The Brussels sprouts were not the best I've ever made, and there was just too much chicken. I can only handle so much, I think.

Side note: I would be lost if I didn't get to eat an apple every day. I love 'em. Interestingly, since I'm not eating sugar at any other time during the day, the apple tastes SO ridiculously sweet -- almost too sweet. Crazy, huh?

Dinner:


Tonight's dinner was quite popular on Instagram. I had originally planned on making another chicken dish, but after chicken last night for dinner and today for lunch, I just couldn't do it. I have been eating so much meat lately, which is so unlike me, and I just needed a break. (Yes, I realize shrimp is still meat, but it's a lot lighter than beef or chicken, so there.)

I adapted a recipe I saw on Pinterest for Spicy Shrimp w/ Chilies and Garlic and basically just mixed olive oil, crushed red pepper, garlic, and shrimp in a Ziploc and then sauteed it. I sided it with roasted sweet potato and sauteed green beans, and wowza: it was delicious. I seriously think I might make this every week. There was a great kick and excellent flavor, and it just felt so fresh and light compared to everything I have been eating lately.

Physically: I feel pretty good physically today. I'm not as tired as I have been (although I'm planning on crashing in bed as soon as I hit "publish"), and my stomach has not had any rumblings today (which was good since I was stuck in the hallway for so long).

Emotionally: So far, I feel like I'm easily getting used to the only-eat-when-you're-hungry idea rather than the it's-after-school-so-I-must-eat idea. I'm hoping this is something that remains for the duration of the program.

Cravings: NONE. I even went to the grocery store and passed a bazillion "yummy" things that I looked at and just thought, ew.  Speaking of "ew," have I got a video for you!



You're welcome.

I was going to write a whole lot more, but now the only thing running through my mind is quotes from the best video ever.

See ya on the flippity flop!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment