Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Turned Old

Today is my 27th birthday.  I used to love birthdays: the parties, the gifts, being the center of attention, all of it.  But as I have gotten older, they don't really seem to phase me anymore.  Of course I love the girls' nights out and the thoughtful sentiments; I just don't like getting older, especially without achieving some of the goals that I had mapped out for myself.

But this year - my 27th - will be different.  I have decided to take matters into my own hands: I will set goals for myself that I will actually achieve.  And all of you, my dear friends (ok, my mom, probably the only person who will read this), are along for the ride: I suck at follow-through and really need some accountability.

So, if I mess this up and start slacking, get on me.

Here are my goals for 27:

  • Eat good, healthy meals: When I was doing Farrell's hardcore, I really stuck to their diet.  Essentially, I drank nothing but water and ate six meals of 30 grams of carbs, 15 grams of protein, and one serving of vegetables every 2-3 hours.  I had one free day a week where none of this mattered, and I could eat whatever the heck I wanted.  With this diet and the amazing exercise program, I lost 13 inches in ten weeks.  And promptly gained it all back as soon as the contest ended and I started slacking.  Starting tomorrow (because hey, today is my birthday), I will be blogging my meals - which means I can't cheat.
  • Lose 30 pounds: I have more than 30 pounds to lose, but I think that in 365 days, this is definitely an achievable goal.  However, I have never been one to look at weight as a number - more of a "my clothes still fit" kind of thing - so I am hoping this is not an unrealistic goal for me.
  • Work out at least five days a week: I love riding my bike, I love yoga, and I just joined the YMCA, so this should be no problem for me - especially when school starts, and I'm back in a routine.
  • Only drink once a week: Drinking is such a social activity in my circle of friends: trivia on Tuesday, volleyball on Wednesday, a glass of wine with dinner, bar hopping on weekends.  However, it is something that my body does not need more than once a week: I feel better when I don't drink, I have more energy when I don't drink, I get more done when I don't drink, etc.  I also suck when it comes to peer pressure.  But, I can do it.
  • Drink more water: My goal is to drink 64 ounces (two Nalgene bottles) of water a day.  This should be a piece of cake.  In addition to water, I chug Kool-Aid like it's going out of style.
  • Take a mulit-vitamin every day: I hate taking medicine, especially when it feels like I'm choking down a horse pill.  My parents used to buy me huge bottles of multi-vitamins that would sit in my closet for years after their expiration date because I refused to swallow them.  And then...I discovered these: they taste like gummy bears.  Goal: accomplished.
  • Do yoga at least once a week: Yoga makes me feel strong and is so calming.  I have been doing yoga for about two months, and when I had to miss last week, I really felt it.  Now that I am a member at the Y, I have no excuses to miss yoga and can hopefully do it more than once a week.
  • Ride RAGBRAI: I love my bike, and I love riding.  It makes me feel so young (wheeeee!) and so strong (these legs can pedal up some steep hills).  The current plan is to ride across Iowa with my mom, my aunt, and some of my amazing friends.  I have a lot of training to do first.
  • Actually follow a budget: First, I am going to need a road bike in order to ride RAGBRAI, and since they are not cheap, I am going to need to save money.  Plus, I think a new car is in the works in the near future, so I need to be less frivolous with my earnings.
  • Read one book a month for ME: Especially during the school year, I get so bogged down with texts I am teaching that I neglect reading for my own pleasure.  I have shelves full of books that I want to read, so I really hope I can stick with this goal!
  • Become more spiritual: This does not mean that I will be going to church every Sunday; instead, it means more meditation and conscious gratitude for all of the good things in my life.  I understand this is a horrible goal because it is not measurable in the least, but I will know if I am accomplishing it.
  • Blog once a day: Remember, I need accountability in order to be successful.
  • Be happy: This one is going to be the easiest: I have a great life!
This is an e-card that one of my best friends sent me today.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment