Thursday, August 26, 2010

And So It Begins...

Today was the first day of school!  I awoke - albeit not so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed - before the crack of dawn at 5:20.  I knew that if I slept any later, I would feel way too scrambled before school.  And I was right!  As it was, I barely had enough time to finish everything I needed to before kids started arriving - the first cheerful ninth grader bouncing in at 7:10, a full 30 minutes prior to school starting.

I was so hurried this morning that I didn't even take a picture of breakfast or of lunch!  Both were deliciously healthy, though, and you've seen them plenty of times already.

  • Breakfast: a guess-timated 3/4 cup of Honey Nut Cheerios and a guess-timated 1 cup of UVAB.  I think I devoured this in a mere two minutes - while preparing my lunch!  On the way to work, I also stopped at Caribou for a first-day-of-school treat: an iced vanilla Northern Lite latte.  That was just what the doctor ordered!
  • Midmorning Snack: today I had a new-to-me flavor of SOYJOY - Peanut Chocolate Chip.  Like all things peanut-y and chocolate-y, this was yummy, but surprisingly, I think I like the strawberry one better!  To accompany the SOYJOY and the meeting I had, I drank an entire Nalgene - and had to pee pretty much every 15 minutes after!
  • Lunch: I bet you're shocked to hear this...  For lunch today I brought a Flatout wrap.  Weird, huh? :)  Today's deliciousness consisted of Queso Fresco & Chipotle Laughing Cow cheese, lettuce, and chicken.  Yum.  I also brought along a fresh peach, on sale at Hy-Vee this week.  I wish those were never out of season.
When CS texted me this morning about working out after school, I may have scowled at the fact that I ever agreed to a workout buddy; I was so utterly exhausted and knew that the end of the day would bring about even more fatigue.  However, after such a wonderful day with my munchkins, I jumped at the chance to join CS.  Because of the gorgeous weather today, in lieu of the gym, we opted for a brisk walk through the hilly cemetery and beautiful old neighborhood near her house.

I used to be so scared of cemeteries - like, so scared that I would hold my breath while driving by so that the spirits couldn't get me.  However, the Woodland Cemetery has always looked so calm and peaceful, and I have wanted to walk through it for the longest time.  I think I am going to have to go back by myself and bring my camera - it was absolutely breathtaking.  The cemetery was created in 1848, and so many of the gravestones are from that time period.  The roads through them are cobblestone and extremely hilly.  The serene atmosphere would be the perfect spot for a relaxing, contemplative photo-walk.

Just across MLK from the cemetery is Des Moines' oldest neighborhood, Sherman Hill.  Walking the hills through the area was also a wonderful experience.  While it used to be kind of a sketchy area, many residents have recently renovated the beautiful old houses, and it is such a charming area of town.  Again, I would like to walk through sometime soon with my camera - gorgeous.

By the time we were done with our hour-long walk, I was ready for some grub!  Because it was my BFF's birthday, we went to dinner - at Bonefish!  For months we have been talking about it but kept putting it to a later date because it's a bit pricey, it's out West, etc.  What better occasion than a birthday, though?

Be prepared: it wasn't the healthiest of meals.  However, I have been doing a pretty darn good job of eating well, working out everyday, and chugging water.

Prior to the meal beginning, I drank quite a bit of water.  I think this helped fill me up a little, but I was still starving.  When the server brought us a basket of bread to dip in olive oil and pesto, I ate one piece.  Normally I would have inhaled one basket and probably have asked for more, so I chalk that up as a victory.


For an appetizer we had to try the Bang Bang Shrimp - after all, we had attempted this for one of our dinner parties and had to see just how we compared.  Let's just say that Bonefish knows how to prepare some shrimp.  :)  Their sauce seemed a little lighter - perhaps a little runnier - than ours, and it definitely had more sriracha sauce.  It was so good.  And yes, I devoured my portion.  Oops.

At least the fried shrimp was followed by a lightly-dressed salad.

BFF's birthday dinner was shrimp and scallops in a lime, tomato, and garlic sauce (I think).  I had a bite of a scallop, and it was superb - cooked perfectly.


I, on the other hand, opted for the Imperial Longfin: tilapia stuffed with shrimp, scallops, crab meat, and a lemon caper butter.


I have one word (phrase?) to say about my dinner this evening: OMG.  For real: oh...my...gosh.  It was divine.  Obviously the seafood and the capers were very healthy, but look at the fish and the beans swimming in the lemon butter sauce.  Perhaps it wasn't the best choice...  However, I only ate half of the fish and half of the beans, saving the rest for lunch tomorrow.  That has to count for something, right?

Birthday Girl opted for dessert tonight - as she should.  A scrumptious creme brulee:


Of course, I had to make sure it wasn't poisonous (and eliminate the berries from BFF's plate)...  I tried a few bites.  But that's it: while I could've split the whole thing - had she let me :) - I limited myself to three small bites. 

A couple of issues, though:
  • Since this whole "being healthy kick" has started, I have become obsessed with calories and with knowing what exactly I'm putting in my body.  Every time I go out to eat - which isn't often - I want to know the precise nutritional value for the meals I am consuming.  It stresses me out when I don't know and feel like I'm overeating.  I just feel guilty - the bread, the appetizer, the lemon butter sauce, the creme brulee bites.  
    • How do I get "okay" with eating unhealthy foods in moderation?
  • Along the same lines, I am really nervous for the next couple of days.  I am tempted to count today as my free day since I ate unhealthily and had a glass of wine.  However, I know my colleagues are going to want to go out for happy hour to celebrate the first week of school; I know I'm going to want to go, and I feel like it's going to be hard not to drink.  On Saturday, I also have plans for a birthday celebration, and I know that is going to involve dinner out and a night on the town.  I just don't know what to do...  
    • How do I socialize - especially at bars and restaurants - and maintain the relationship I have with my colleagues and friends while still grasping firmly onto the healthy lifestyle that I have adopted?
Today's grand total:

Calories: I don't even want to know
Fat: a lot
Carbs: ugh
Protein: not enough

No comments:

Post a Comment