Monday, January 31, 2011

Granny Em

I've always gotten "Auntie Em" because of The Wizard of Oz.  Clearly, though, I should really be "Granny Em" because of my bedtime as of late.  Last night I was zonked no later than 8 p.m.  Granted, the Tylenol P.M. probably helped, but I don't think I'm going to beat that time by much tonight!  My body is just telling me that bed is the place to be!  I hope it's not also telling me that I am getting whatever virus half the country has right now!


Check out the resemblance:


Uncanny, I tell ya.

But I digress.

Today started off bright and early (thanks to my early night).  I woke up at 4:40 to head to the gym for what I thought was going to be an invigorating spinning class.  When I arrived at the Y to meet a friend for our workout, however, she informed me that Monday was one of two days that spinning is not offered at 5 a.m.

Oops.

So, we settled for a treadmill workout.  In 30 minutes, I ran/walked two miles (at a snail's pace, obv) and burned 270 calories.  Apparently I should've done the elliptical because I burn way more calories and "run" a lot farther than on a treadmill.

I have a gym announcement for y'all before I go any further: four of our treadmills and four of our ellipticals (the gazelle-looking ones) got new TVs - like, individual TVs for the individual machines.  So today I was able to watch MY news - Channel 13 - and cross my fingers for a snow day, all while working out!

I then came home to a scrumptious bowl of Apple Pie Oatmeal, again courtesy of Angela.  I swear: I cook something from her at least once a week, if not once a day.  Like last week, I was full from half a bowl of this oatmeal so took the rest of it to work for my morning snack: and proceeded to dump it all over my pants.  I'm not going to lie, though: I scooped it from my lap into the bowl and still ate it.

That's just how I roll.

Especially when I'm hungry.

And more specifically when we're talking about Apple Pie Oatmeal.

For lunch, I whipped up a quick batch of what was supposed to be guacamole but instead turned out to be, um, not:


It was more like chunks of avocado mixed with one Roma tomato, way too much onion, some cayenne, cumin, and salt.  I mean, it was good...oniony but good...and not at all guacamole-ish.  I ate it on top of a toasted 100-calorie thin bun.  I think I'll make it again, but next time I'll skip the onion.

After school we had our second PROUD meeting of the semester.  We called this our "PROUD Planning Party" and invited lots of students and catered in pupusas.  If you've never tried a pupusa, you are totally missing out.  It is an El Salvadoran food: essentially, it's a flat, thick tortilla, stuffed with cheese and meat or beans, usually topped with a slaw and salsa.  OMG.  They're delish.

I forgot to take a picture of mine, so I stole one from here.
I opted for a cheese and bean pupusa and feared for how unhealthy I was being.  Shockingly, it's only around 200 calories.  I should've had ten.

After scraping sleet off my car (UGH!) and navigating the slippery slopes home, I proceeded to cook a horrible dinner: shrimp with Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce over jasmine rice.  I was less-than-impressed and even considered throwing the other half of it away.  I decided against being wasteful, though, and will be suffering through the same meal for lunch tomorrow.  Thankfully I discarded most of the sauce and kept half a bag of sugar snap peas to satiate me.


I made this while on a conference call with the non-profit for which I work.  It is always so great to hear everyone's voices, and I can't wait until a reunion comes to fruition.  I could definitely use some time in Long Beach and some rejuvenation from teachers and other supporters of education who have the same pedagogical ideologies as I do.  Even though this is a great year with phenomenal students, it's also been a bit rough, and being back with those amazing people would be so wonderful.

Anyway, I'm off for the night.  It's nearing 8:00, which is, as we know, my bedtime!  :)  'Til tomorrow, friends!

Today's grand total:

Calories: 1,378
Fat: 48 grams (I ate an entire avocado, okay?!)
Carbs: 185 grams
Protein: 62 grams

(I'm loving Fit Day!)

Exercise: 300 calories
Water: not enough!!!

And let's not kid ourselves: dinner was awful, so I'm most likely going to tear into some graham crackers before long!  I'd better just go ahead and add another 120 calories to that total!  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment