Monday, January 10, 2011

Gettin' Crabby

Before I tell you about today, I have to reiterate how icky I felt after downing an entire meal of Pad Thai.  Holy moly.  I won't be doing that again for a long time!  Last night and again this morning, I could not get enough water.  Clearly I got triple my daily sodium allotment in one meal...  

But today was a good day.  

It started off, as usual, with a Green Monster (can they still be called "Green" monsters if they're more, um, black-ish?):


Check out the weird shadows on that glass - I don't know what was going on!  In the mix today: spinach, blackberries, a banana, protein, almond butter, UVAB, a drizzle of agave nectar, and cinnamon/nutmeg.  Delish as usual.

First, I walked outside this morning to a glittering ground of snow - and if it wasn't so darn cold out right now and if I didn't live up a flight of stairs, I'd go take a picture to show you.  Generally I hate snow.  I'm pretty sure I'm certifiably SAD when it comes to winter in Iowa, but today's early morning dusting of snow was so pretty, and as we haven't had much snowfall yet, I really enjoyed it. Come February (or tomorrow morning if we don't have a snow day), I'll be singing a different tune!

School was good today as well.  I finished two more of my students' reading tests and only have one more to go.  This might not seem like a big deal, but these tests (BRIs) take FOREVER.  I have 15 students in my reading intervention course, and it has taken me approximately two months to finish these tests.  I have to administer them individually after figuring out (based on standardized test scores) at approximately what grade-level to start students.  If I guess-timate correctly, they only take about 15 minutes per kid, but if I guess-timate incorrectly, it can take up to 45 minutes per student.  Essentially, a kid gets a reading passage, reads it to himself, reads it aloud to me (as I mark any miscues), and answers nine comprehension questions and one vocabulary question (as I mark any incorrect responses).  FOR.EV.ER.

My general English classes turned in the rest of their essays, and nearly every single one of my students completed them.  I had probably eight kids not turn in an essay, which is a remarkable feat for my kids.  I was very proud of them - and totally got on the cases of kids who didn't do their work.  Hopefully tomorrow I will have 100% completion.  :)

For lunch I slurped down two-thirds of the Trader Joe's soup I bought yesterday: lentil and vegetable.  Unfortunately, I ate it before I remembered to take a photo.  Sorry.  It was good, but I wish there were more vegetables and lentils than broth.  Regardless, I was surprised it filled me up as much as it did!

Because we played final exam review games again today, I had to sample some of the prizes.  Instead of chocolate, I grabbed three mini Laffy Taffy candies throughout the afternoon.  This totaled 96 calories, and while it wasn't a necessary part of my diet (duh), didn't harm it too badly.

After staying at school way too late in the middle of a blizzard (helping students, of course), I came home and ate two hard-boiled eggs while I graded a few essays.  Then...it was time to prepare for the fun part of the day: dinner with a friend/former cheerleader!  

For those of you unaware, I was my school's cheerleading coach for three years.  How I got that gig (with absolutely zero cheer experience) I will never know!  It was a fun yet stressful/extremely busy three years, but I am very happy that I now have a life again.  :)

Anyway, we had kept in touch the last few years, stayed in contact via text and Facebook, ran into each other at different events, and talked about our mutual dedication to health and fitness.  After following my blog (hi, K!), she expressed interest in cooking together.  Because I always love company and figured it would be a great way to reconnect, I totally agreed!

It was a great night.  And look what she brought me:


OMG.  Jillian's protein powder!  She read my blog yesterday and knew that I wanted this so badly but hated Walmart and therefore wouldn't buy it myself.  How thoughtful was she?!  I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for my morning shake tomorrow!!!

Anyway: for dinner tonight we attempted (for the first time for both of us) crab cakes ala Cooking Light. We made a couple modifications, but the recipe turned out AMAZING.  If crab weren't so expensive, I'd cook this probably once a week!


We pan-fried the crab cakes and topped them with a sauce (white wine, butter, chicken broth, and shallots), and roasted asparagus (topped with mixed herbs) and red potatoes (topped with parsley and Kosher salt).  If we hadn't each had a glass of wine, it would have been under 500 calories - and look how decadent!

I didn't work out today because the roads were too bad to go to the gym and because I had too much to do this evening.  That should be the first clue to myself that I need to start waking up and just getting it over with at 5 a.m.  Ugh.

Oh well.  Hopefully I can get to the Y tomorrow.  But for now, I'm off to grade the 120 essays I need to have done by um, tomorrow.  Cross your fingers for a snow day.  :)

Today's grand total:

Calories: 1459
Fat: 48 grams
Carbs: 157 grams
Protein: 79 grams

Exercise: 0 calories burned
Water: 32 ounces (how horrible am I?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment