Monday, October 25, 2010

Ugh

Here's for a quick post, as I am absolutely pooped.  Today was a long day, and tomorrow will be even longer.  I feel so old when I say that 10:30 is past my bedtime, but it is!

Today started off great with a bowl of pumpkin oats - which I took a picture of but am currently too lazy to download.  :)  I am absolutely obsessed with anything pumpkin lately.  I guess that's what fall does to a girl!

The morning was a little rough, only because my right ankle/foot is approximately three times the size of my left - and a lovely greenish hue.  But, I spent the majority of the day teaching sitting down, and my colleagues and students were great at assisting me.

For lunch I had a generous helping of wild rice and chicken salad.  It is so freakin' good and is my new go-to recipe.  Honestly: to die for.  Then...I messed up.  I have a stash of Halloween candy in my room leftover from a staff meeting, and I had a few pieces of it this afternoon.  I don't know what my deal has been lately with sweets, but I can't seem to satisfy my sweet tooth!

When I got home from school - after the PROUD meeting, of course - I ate a small thing of yogurt and two meringue cookies.  And before I headed to a 6:00 presentation, I ate one of those Weight Watchers ice cream bars.  And THEN, after the presentation, BFF and I went to Star Bar where I had half a turkey, bacon, and swiss panini with French fries.  What is wrong with me?!

Oh well...tomorrow's another day.

And tomorrow definitely needs to be a better day - I am getting unhealthy again...way too fast.  Ugh.

The lecture we attended was by Jawanza Kunjufu, who spoke on education and economics, specifically in regards to African American males.  While I think he made some good points, I also felt personally attacked, as he frequently criticized the work of white female teachers in inner-city schools.  I am quite educated in regards to privilege, race, poverty, and education, and I was not impressed with how he played the blame game by generalizing systemic oppression onto a very specific group of individuals.  Obviously it's too much too get into in this forum, but...suffice it to say that it upset me - and not in a good way.

So, on that note, it's past my bedtime!  I'm going to ice my foot, prop it up on a couple of pillows, and pass out!

Peace, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment