Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Two-A-Days

I was thinking about this blog post in the shower (where all of my greatest ideas occur, obviously), and I couldn't stop thinking about this TV show.

Source
I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single episode of this show, but regardless, it's the first thing that popped into my head when I realized that I was doing two-a-day workouts.  The commercials must've been swarming the air in the midst of my Jersey Shore addiction, or something.  Oh, and speaking of Jersey Shore: I just bought the JWOWW tanning lotion (don't judge -- on either account) and it's seriously the best lotion I've ever used.  It smells so ridiculously good that I find myself smelling my arms throughout the entire day and into my morning workout the following day.

What can I say?  I'm hot.

Anyway, back to the actual topic of this blog post: two-a-day workouts.

As you know, I've been kickboxing three days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) and have been doing strength-training three days a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays) at Farrell's.  About a month-and-a-half ago, See-Us Run Des Moines started, and those practices are on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Let me break it down for you: if I do all of the workouts I'm supposed to be doing at the times that I am supposed to be doing them, I will have four days a week of two-a-days, two days a week of one-a-days, and one day a week completely free.

Currently, I am only able to make two or three SRDM practices a week due to job commitments and, lately, doctors' appointments.  Despite only being two or three times a week, though, those two-a-days are killing me.

I mean, Farrell's is super intense.  We're in week nine of the ten-week program, so the workouts are fairly killer in and of themselves.  Adding a full day of on-my-feet teaching to the 5 a.m. workout and topping it all with a two to four mile run afterwards is brutal.



Let's look at yesterday, for example.  The bands workout was our first experience with the "push/pull" strategy.  Instead of doing solely upper- or solely lower-body, we did all push exercises, a combination of upper and lower.  (For example, we did donkey kicks for our glutes since we were pushing our muscles, we did lat raises for our shoulders since we were pushing our muscles, and we did seated leg extensions for our quadriceps since we were pushing our muscles.)  After that tough workout, I worked all day and then headed out with the kiddos for our track workout.  We ran a half a mile to the track and then did six laps (1.5 miles) of sprinting the straightaways and jogging the curves.  We then did two cool-down laps (another half a mile).  All together: two-and-a-half miles, most of which were speed drills.

I was so pooped last night that I could barely manage walking around Target with The Boy.  In fact, I whined mentioned that my legs needed to stop working.  And, I'm not going to lie: I was half tempted to have him push me around in the cart.

So yes: I am doing two-a-days.  And yes: they are tough.  And yes again: there will be whining.

Be prepared.


Good thing today was "just" a one-a-day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment