Monday, March 25, 2013

Day One Done

This is not the time I want to see when I wake up:

(And yes, I assure you this was 4:16 a.m. and not 4:16 p.m.  I can also assure you that my alarm went off at 4:15 a.m. since I am so OCD that it has to be set on the 5's.  It just took me a minute to wake up and actually snap a screenshot.  Deal with it.)

The morning came especially fast since I could. not. sleep. last night.  First, I went to bed at 9:30 but probably didn't fall asleep until close to midnight.  Second, because I drank so much darn water yesterday, I was up peeing a million times; in fact, when I was falling asleep, I had to get up twice - twice - in 30 minutes to pee.

Hopefully my bladder will adjust to the water intake sooner rather than later.

I quickly (or as "quickly" as 4:16 a.m. allows) got ready for Farrell's and headed out the door.

And also very quickly realized that we had received a couple of inches of snow overnight.  So, I got a "pre-workout" by scraping and brushing off my windshield - and then had a mild panic attack when I almost didn't make it up my hill.

Side note: I am getting a little irritated with people complaining about the weather.  I hate snow as much as the next person, and I am certainly ready for spring.  HOWEVER, this is Iowa, so it's not that abnormal to get snow in March.  Spring will be here soon enough, and besides, we are in dire need of the moisture.  Stop complaining.  It's snow.  It'll go away eventually, and then you can whine about 105 degrees and humidity.  End side note.

I arrived to Farrell's around 4:40 or so, and my group did some "extras": sit-ups, side crunches, mountain climbers, and a plank.  These were good extras, but I think I'm going to revert to the extras that I did during the last session: sit-ups, push-ups, crunches, side crunches, and knee-ins.  Those just seemed to do the trick a little better than these will.

And let me tell you: those knee-ins sure get the lower abs.  Wowza.

Today's workout was kickboxing, and it was pretty intense.  I forgot how much the arms start to burn when the hands don't leave the cheeks.  In addition to the normal cardio and bag routine, we did 53 push-ups to celebrate Coach Connie's 53rd birthday, lots o' squats and lunges, ten burpees, some crunches and sit-ups, and a plank (and probably other fun things that I'm forgetting).

Needless to say, I left with a pretty rockin' sweat and, after having to scrape my car off yet again prior to driving home, got yet another mini-workout.

When I got home, I hopped in the shower and then made breakfast as well as all of my other meals for the day.  Note to self: prep meals the day before.  That took for-ev-er.


Oatmeal with blackberries, almond butter, and granola.  I also ate a (not pictured) hardboiled egg.
My morning snack was an apple and two pieces of string cheese.  I didn't take a picture because a.) I was stuffing my face between classes, and b.) I figured you could visualize those two yummies.


The tuna concoction from yesterday (with Louisiana Hot Sauce added), grapes, and a piece of not-warm-anymore toast.
I was seriously excited for my afternoon snack all day - and, let's be real, pretty much since I made the meal plan:

Pepper Jack cheese and multigrain wheat thins.
I think that cheese and crackers are one of my favorite combinations.  I had 15 crackers and two ounces of cheese and was perfectly satisfied.

I am currently eating dinner, despite Bethenny's advice to not do anything else while eating:

Brown rice with leftover avocado-mango-onion-lemon salsa, chipotle chicken, and seasoned cucumbers.
If you haven't already, go buy this chicken from Trader Joe's:

The Boy and I have had it twice now and absolutely love it.  It might be my new Trader Joe's item - especially since it's so darn easy.

For my snack after Spanish class, I am planning on mixing some vanilla protein powder with a cup of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze.  It will be the world's most boring protein "shake," but hopefully I can down it without too much trouble.

For now, though, I'm off to class - with my trust water bottles, of course.  Until tomorrow, though, I thought I would leave you (okay, my mom) with a cat collage:
This seriously happens every time I lay down.  It's a miracle that I don't hack up hairballs.


  1. Way to go, Emmy! Audrey saw you this morning and wanted to roll down the window to say hello. I didn't see you and she said you were looking down and I might scare you anyway.

    Keep up the good work!!

    1. Oh man! Next time let the girl roll down the window! It always makes my day seeing my favorite kiddos before I go to work. :)