Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So. Many. Squats.

I bet you didn't think you'd see me back so soon, huh?  Well, glad I could prove you wrong.

Before I get to my daily run-down, I have to fill you in on what made me really want to start blogging again.  First, I straight-up missed it: writing is so darn calming.  I, along with all freelance writers, was let go from LivingSocial, and because of that, I really haven't had much of an excuse to write lately.  Therefore, I deemed blogging a must.  Second, I love reading blogs (especially my mama's and my sister-in-law's) but find that I don't do so nearly as much as when I write them.  Third, I want to get back to super healthy eating and exercising (aside from simply running a bazillion miles), and this is a good place to document all of that.

So, there you have it.

Back in July, I bought a LivingSocial for The Boy and I to join a CrossFit box for a month.  Last night we (and Mags!) had our first fundamentals class.

O. M. G.

This was just practice, friends.  We simply went through the motions.  We hardly worked out at all.

And I am dying.

We started the night by practicing good form for squats.  After air squats we moved to back squats, front squats, and overhead squats.  (If you're good at math, you'll know that that's a lot of squatting.)  After we were done squatting (for a second, at least), we practiced shoulder exercises: a shoulder press, a push press, and a split-jerk.  (Check out all the exercises here.)

Following practicing those exercises for approximately 15,000 times, we did some Tabata training (a H.I.I.T. workout).  It was an eight-minute session that included eight sets: 20 seconds of squatting, 10 seconds of rest, 20 seconds of push-ups, 10 seconds of rest.

Again: O. M. G.

After we wiped ourselves off the mat and managed to maneuver out to the car, we made it home, and The Boy cooked dinner:

(Quite possibly the worst food photo ever.  I was hungry and in a hurry.)
He whipped up some ah-maze-ing grilled cheese: mozzarella, avocado, and tomato.  (I believe he added salami to his.)  On the side, we shared some wild rice and chicken soup.  It was perfect.

Tonight, I made what will likely become a rotation in our weekly meals: homemade Chipotle burrito bowls, courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats:

(Again, not a great photo.  Lay off.)
Basically, we mixed some delicious rice with seasoned black beans, guacamole (that The Boy put together), salsa, and cheese.  Let me tell you how filling that meal was: neither of us was able to finish it.

We're heading back to CrossFit for our second fundamentals class tomorrow, but for tonight, my favorite boys (and girl, somewhere) are settling in to watch the election.


G'night, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment