Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Parable

I apologize for not blogging yesterday: it was an exhausting day - both physically and emotionally - and I just needed to crash.

Two friends and I left Des Moines at 7:00 a.m. to go to another friend's funeral.  Diane Ishmael, my practicum teacher in 2002 and my cooperating teacher in 2004, lost her battle with cancer.  During my 30-hour practicum with Diane, I immediately realized that she was a phenomenal teacher: she had hugely high expectations for her students, yet she had amazing relationships with them.  Despite her being a super strict teacher, all of her students loved and respected her.  When I received my student teaching placement in spring 2004, I was absolutely thrilled to discover that I'd be working with her in the fall.  That summer - and throughout the time I spent working with her - we developed a strong relationship, and I credit much of what I do today to how she taught me, influenced me, and supported me.

Throughout the last few months, Diane kept a Caring Bridge blog, and if you choose to read through it, you will see that she was the epitome of grace and poise while also proving to be a courageous, strong fighter.  I truly hope that when I am no longer needed on this earth that I can leave with as much bravery as she did.

Before I continue, let me offer you a piece of advice: always tell the people in your life how much they mean to you.  I was supposed to visit Diane on Saturday for her birthday party; we had communicated via Facebook in June that I was planning on attending, but since I received the actual invitation while I was in Denver and then got so busy afterward, I did not RSVP.  I let life get the best of me, and I did not talk to my friend before she left us.  And that devastates me.  Always, always, always tell your loved ones how much you care.

And after writing all of that, I am having a difficult time writing anything else.

So, I'll continue tomorrow.

Source: The Parable of Immortality

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this Emily. What a sad story. My heart goes out to you and her family.

    ReplyDelete