Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Apologies

Well, I already failed at one of my goals: to read a book every month.  I am currently working on this one:


But, with school starting and life getting crazy, I'm still only about halfway through it.  However, I'm going home this weekend, and I usually tend to get a lot of reading done then, so we'll see.  And I know I'll accomplish the goal for October (with at least one, perhaps several more books) because I have a hugely long road trip smack-dab in the middle.

I'm sorry I didn't blog last night.  I swear I wasn't slacking...  You'll understand in a minute.

First, I woke up and had a Green Monster:


In the mix: half a cup of UVAB, a huge handful of spinach, part of a banana, a few raspberries, a drizzle of honey, and a scoop of protein powder.  It was as delicious as it looks.

Although yesterday was Wednesday and therefore an early-dismissal at school, it still seemed like a very long day.  My team and I got a lot accomplished during our "free" 90 minutes, and then I had a short staff meeting followed by a presentation-planning meeting.  I very much enjoy (and am honored by the fact) being a teacher-leader in my building, but holy moly: it's a lot of work.  I have another one tomorrow before I can leave for Omaha!

After all of the school stuff was finished, I high-tailed it to yoga (and was, as usual, a few minutes late).  It was a great workout, but I was so tired that I kind of slacked a little.  In fact, I was so tired that I almost fell asleep during extended child's pose and then again during the meditation at the end.  Oops!

Yoga finished, and I went home to cook dinner: a Cooking Light recipe for Linguine with a Garlic-Clam-Pea sauce.  Yum.

The recipe called for a cup of dry white wine, so I had to open a bottle and (obviously) have a glass:


Then I got started on the sauce:


It was a lot runnier than I had anticipated, but I'm wondering if that's because I messed it up...  I misread the recipe and added the clams with all of the liquid ingredients.  I was supposed to simmer just the liquid for about five minutes to reduce it, so I think had I done that without the "solids," perhaps it would've turned out a bit better.  Regardless, it tasted delish, and I had it for dinner last night, lunch today, and will have it again for lunch tomorrow:


I served it with a Thin Bun topped with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, garlic salt, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.  It was too salty for my taste, but that can be easily fixed!

With dinner in hand, I settled in front of my computer to watch Glee on Hulu.  I had such trouble staying awake during it but managed to, and then I tried watching Law & Order: SVU (with Jennifer Love Hewitt), but I crashed...at 8:05!  I was out like a light - didn't hear my phone ring or anything.  I was bummed because I really wanted to watch SVU and stay awake for the new L&O series, but fate had other plans!  I think I am coming down with a cold or something because I felt absolutely horrible last night (hence the falling asleep), drank approximately a liter of water throughout the middle of the night, and am not feeling so hot now.  Hopefully it's just a quick bug - or allergies.


This morning I woke up well-rested (duh!) and made some delicious oatmeal, topped with banana and raspberries:




Mmm...


It was another long day at school.  First, I was dealing with an issue almost the entire day regarding a student with whom I've really made a connection.  The open-enrollment policy for my district has been tightened this year, and because this student is moving out of our boundaries, he is going to be forced into a different district.  This is absolutely horrible, as we have made great strides with him in many regards, and I fear he will be completely lost at the other school.  I spent a great deal of time today trying to convince some very important people that it is in my kid's best interest to stay.  Please cross your fingers that it works.


While my student teacher taught the entire day, I was reading journals, which takes a great deal of time and energy.  Some of the things the kids write in those things is so emotionally taxing.  I absolutely love my kids with all my heart and cannot believe they have had to experience half of what they have.  It's so sad.

The day seemed so long, too, because I stayed until around 4:45 working with students on their exam corrections.  Usually when I offer a chance to redeem points, students dismiss it; this time, however, the room was packed after school.  It was great, and I am so pleased, but it was a lot of work!  Thankfully, I had my student teacher for much of it, and when she left, one of the students who really grasped the concepts went around and helped his peers as well.  I was very proud of him!

Finally, I came home for approximately 20 minutes, hit up Walgreen's for some orthotics, and headed to the soccer field for my game.  The first half was quite rough, as my feet were absolutely killing me.  (I really need to get on this appointment-making...)  However, I found the remedy: taking approximately 8,000 grams of Advil.

Or 800.  Whatever.

While it really helped the pain, I am hesitant to take too much because I am allergic (or at least have adverse reactions) to mass quantities of Ibuprofen.

Another remedy: injuring another part of your body so that the pain transfers from your feet elsewhere.  As a midfielder I was up against a big guy on the opposing team.  At one point he forcefully elbowed me in the chest and arm, and it really hurt.  So the next time we went head-to-head, I tried really hard to attack him.  It worked (kind of), but in the process, I hit the ground.  My stomach and palms were a bit scraped, my jaw hit the ground and was feeling kind of funny for awhile, and my knees and quads are bruised quite nicely.  I hope the bruises get even "sweeter" overnight so that I can take a picture and show y'all tomorrow.  :)

Of course, my team lost.

Oh well.

After that fine performance, it was time for this amazing one:

Source
Oh, how I love Thursdays...  And Pauly D.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment